Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Do-gooding in 2012.

"Back where I come from there are men who do nothing all day but good deeds. They are called phila... er, phila... er, yes, er, Good Deed Doers."
The Wizard of Oz

I am a bit of a do-gooder. It's a phrase which has some negative connotations of being a dobber and interferer, so I think it's time to redeem the reputation of do-gooding and do-gooders generally. Do-gooders unite!

Therefore I have jumped aboard the Year of Good Things! You can read more about it here. It's one of many clever ideas of Pip Lincolne (Meet Me at Mikes) and is about acknowledging the good things we do everyday and to make us think about doing good things and the good things other people do. Maybe some of the Good Things are actually Great Things!

Since I'm all for good (and great!), count me in. A few days late. But ready to throw in a few EXTRA good things to make up for missing 3 days. Over time, you understand.

Here is my good thing #1/366: I have been a bit sad and a bit mad about Heinz closing their Aussie-produced tomato sauce plant in Victoria this week. Sad because we are losing so many products to overseas companies and factories, and mad because Australian farmers are losing their money and places to sell their product PLUS it puts Australians out of work PLUS Australians should be supporting Australian made and grown!

The GOOD thing is that there is still an Australian company which produces tomato sauce IN AUSTRALIA from AUSTRALIAN PRODUCE! It is M.O.N.! Yay! I will be buying M.O.N. tomato sauce exclusively (unless, of course, there is another company? Let me know!).

Australia Day is in 22 days. I'm trying to make sure I buy Australian grown and made, whether it's big business or made in someone's house, from tomato sauce to shampoo, from sheets to towels and everything in between.

It's not easy. Often it's difficult or impossible to find. And very often Aussie stuff is more expensive than the internationally owned and produced, so sometimes I can't support Australian as much as I would dearly like. But I try!

If you would like to know which companies are Australian so you can support them, there is an excellent website called Ausbuy which has a great guide. Have a look! And support Australian made! You can help to support our very clever Aussie farmers and manufacturers, big and little, and keep jobs and skills in Australia. Wouldn't that be a good thing?!




No comments:

Post a Comment