Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Watching now :: Zen.


Meet Aurelio Zen.

He happens to be my new favorite, crime-fighting, mysterious but flawed, reluctant hero, leading man.

What I love about it - apart from the man himself - is the sixties vibe, even though it's comtemporary, the seductive theme and jazzy background music, Rome, the detective storylines, the quality camera work, and the back story. This is a beautifully shot series.


The only drawback? The various accents. It's in English (of several extractions, including Scottish) and for me that detracts, and distracts, from it's entrancing Italianism. I would have preferred it be in Italian with subtitles (it would also give me a chance to practice my Italian).

But perhaps I'm being picky. Rufus Sewell, who plays Zen, is otherwise convincing, and I, for one, am blissfully sucked right in.

You can catch up on the first 2 eps here, on ABC TV iView or Sundays, 8.30pm, ABC1.

No comments:

Post a Comment